Friday, February 11, 2005

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Why you should never engage a true science fiction geek in casual conversation: A cautionary tale in three acts.

Act One (a couple of months ago)
I was working alone late one evening and bumped into the night janitor in our office. I complimented him on the vintage Star Wars t-shirt he was wearing. We went our separate ways.

Act Two (a couple of weeks ago)
I was alone, working late again and ran into our night janitor. He said, "I've been meaning to ask if you've seen the new Battlestar Galactica, because I just can't get behind the idea of Starbuck being a woman." I explained that I've never even seen the old Battlestar Galactica and that, although I'm admittedly a hopeless Star Wars goon, I'm not really a sci-fi buff. He responded by explaining at some length why the current Star Trek series isn't as good as the others.

Act Three (last night)
I was working late, along with all of my coworkers. I could hear the janitor making his way down the row of cubicles, emptying garbage cans and offering brief greetings to everyone. Then he got to my cubicle and, upon seeing me, bellowed (Seriously, it was earsplittingly loud. That strange noise you heard last night? Was him.) "HEY, IT'S MY SCI-FI BUDDY!"

Epilogue
Now all of my coworkers think I speak Klingon. Sigh.

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael LeVan said...

LOL! You are hilarious, d.

February 12, 2005 7:12 AM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I too laughed aloud. I love this story.

February 12, 2005 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but this story made me laugh very very hard.
xoxoxo, mp

February 14, 2005 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a excellent blog - hope you can keep it going. In case you were wondering how to write a play It's all there: how to write a play

November 20, 2005 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vaj tlIngan Hol yIjatlh!

September 15, 2006 6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why is is such a good day to die (as described by the title). I would be honored to have people believe that I spoke Klingon.

April 11, 2007 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home